Promote health equity and boost your career with a Certificate in Advanced 西班牙语 for the 健康 and Helping Professions.
According to the 中心 for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), health equity is achieved “when every person has the opportunity to attain his or her full health potential and no one is disadvantaged from achieving this potential because of social position or other socially determined circumstances.”
Understanding that communication is one of the keys to advancing health equity in our society, St. 爱德华的 created the Certificate in Advanced 西班牙语 for the 健康 and Helping Professions to help meet the need in the healthcare sector for bilingual and bicultural professionals.
这个程序, which allows you to earn certification while pursuing your undergraduate degree, will leverage your skills as a bilingual speaker or advanced second-language learner of 西班牙语 and prepare you for health-related professions that require specific, technical vocabulary and cultural knowledge.
The program’s methodology will be grounded in an inquiry-based approach, employ best practices from translation studies, as well as refine your written and spoken 西班牙语. This certificate will provide an experiential learning component (internship) in the area of your major.
The certificate is designed for students with advanced oral proficiency — 西班牙语/English bilinguals and second-language learners.
The linguistic and cultural competencies addressed in the certificate will position you to become a leader in the health and helping professions as an advocate for the Latino/Latinx population in the United States.
- Students will develop interpersonal communication skills in 西班牙语 focused on in-person encounters and interviews in a clinical or medical setting.
- Students will demonstrate cultural knowledge of the Latinx sociocultural context through research and experiential learning.
- Students will learn the fundamentals of translation and interpretation necessary in healthcare settings.
- Students will refine and professionalize oral presentational skills in 西班牙语 in order to communicate in a caring and effective manner.
The certificate consists of 12 credit hours at the 3000/4000-level (Advanced 西班牙语 proficiency).
- 西班牙语 3355 - 西班牙语 for the 健康 and Helping Professions
- 西班牙语 3357 - 西班牙语 for 健康care Professionals and Latino Issues in 健康
- 西班牙语 4305 - Introduction to Translation and Interpretation
- 西班牙语 4363 - Internship in Advanced 西班牙语 for the 健康 and Helping Professions